In observance of the very first day of life in our post Mayan (calendar(ish) world, I've decided to re-implement...(drum roll)...the checklist. The checklist helps us to stay on track. We each have morning, afternoon, and late afternoon chores, though of course, mine have no beginning or end. My kids seem pretty enthusiastic about getting back to this. Our checklists are in paper protectors and taped to a cabinet in the kitchen. The children enjoy running back and forth and checking off things with their dry erase markers.
A change I will be implementing is that I will have my own list as well. I am always doing something. It just seems lately that my somethings have been less focused. Fuzzy brain's default is Facebook. Responsible Mama would prefer to implement this tool as a guide so that fuzzy brained, sleep deprived, or distracted Mama won't hijack the household, which typically results in chaos.
I like the checklist because it doesn't hold unrealistic expectations, or require that we do very specific things in specific thirty minute intervals of time. Been there, done that, and it always left me feeling kind of inadequate.
And that's what happens when we take things upon ourselves that the Lord hasn't assigned to us, isn't it?
The checklist works for us because it's not overly confining; rather it provides a very comfortable anchor that brings comfort and consistency to our days.
Yet, when creativity starts to flow, I'll set it aside for a bit.
My creative energies are best channeled through writing. Our Creator God crafted each of us with talents and passions, which can't be properly expressed if confined to certain times of the day. For the kids or myself, once those creative juices get flowing, we're gonna loosen our hold on the everyday, and let what He has purposed flow through us, in the hope that He may be glorified through it.
So much of life is about finding proper balance. I'm thankful for the freedom found in Christ, and the abundant life that it brings when we surrender our own expectations and take on His.
No comments:
Post a Comment