Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Simple Truth

Shawn got called to come into work this morning, and the kids and I went to church. Bethel Hill Baptist has preaching at 10:00AM in the summer which I love! I'm not quite disciplined enough for Sunday school yet.

Anyway, as we were riding just before 10:00, (running late as usual) I was playing with the radio and came across a Christian program. The station was 106.1; who the speaker was I have no idea. He had taken a call from a guy who was asking questions about God, religion, and church. The guy seemed to be in that uncomfortable place between unbelief and belief. The host was answering his questions with such clarity and simplicity that I just had to share some of what he said.

Many people wonder how a "so-called" loving God could send people to hell. This is a common misconception among people. God does not send people to hell. He, however, does give them a choice while they are here on earth to either live a life with Him or without Him. He respects us enough to allow us to make our own choices. If we choose a life without Him here, then He will not force us to live in eternity with Him in heaven. As a result, those who do not choose a relationship with God will have to live with the eternal consequences of hell, which is a life completely apart from Him.

What many people don't consider is that on a daily basis, while they are on earth, whether or not they choose a life with God, they are enjoying many of the benefits that believers have. Some of these are the beauty of nature, an earth that sustains and renews itself, and that provides us with the resources that we need for life. It's kind of like stealing someone else's cable. If you choose a life apart from God, then you will live in eternal torment without the presence of God and His benefits.

The man asked if he could be a believer and not go to church. The host explained that he could but that he would miss out on the many benefits of being part of a body of believers. You will miss out on the encouragement of knowing that many of the things that you deal with on a daily basis are common problems. You will miss out on the support and encouragement that comes from being a part of a group like that.

None of this is "word for word." I just thought that what I heard was important enough to share. None of this is my commentary and I have none to add, so without further ado, I'm gonna close. I do pray that these words will answer someone's questions or give someone clarity in areas that may have been fuzzy.





No comments:

Post a Comment