Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013


I've learned and/or been reminded of some good stuff this week...

-If I hold on too tight to my schedule, then I'm not leaving room for God to do His thing. I need to let Him not only set my schedule but change it when He sees fit. To obey His promptings sometimes requires switching things up. As I tell my kids all the time, His plans for us are better than anything we can come up with for ourselves, so being too rigid when He's prompting us to change is of no use. Stubbornness will get us nowhere so we just need to heed His promptings and let Him do His thing.

-I just started reading Matthew. As one of Jesus' twelve disciples (often referred to as Levi), he was well acquainted with Jesus. He wrote the book of Matthew to present evidence to the Jewish people so they would know He is/was the Messiah they had been waiting for.

Yet they were waiting for a man who was going to build a physical kingdom that would last forever so they didn't recognize Jesus as Savior.

I'm thinking that a lot of us, including myself, are spending a lot more time focusing on the things we can build with human hands than things of a spiritual nature, which are eternal.

Jesus knew better.

"Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people he has made?” (Francis Chan)

If we live by this, then we will focus less on what others can do for us and more on what we can do for them. We'll ask for less and give more. As we focus on Him, God will take away our neediness and start working in us to help us to meet the needs of others. That's why we're here anyway.

-If you break down 2000 years into twenty some generations, Jesus' trek on this earth doesn't seem that long ago. Just twenty some lifetimes ago, His feet trod upon this earth, experiencing troubles, trials, and temptations similar to the ones we're experiencing. He felt the sun on His skin, saw the bees buzzing around, and smelled the flowers, just like we do. He walked this earth as a real, tangible person. All that helps me to put things into perspective in ways I can't even explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment