One thing I've learned in the last 10 years of being a parent is how important it is that we train our kids to do chores. It teaches them responsibility, emphasizes each person's important role in the family, and helps Mama out tremendously!
When we had two kids and were planning our third, I got really serious about it. I knew that to make room and time for another little person, some things were going to have to change.
Now for those of you who have come by during our messy house time (which happens every day), you're surely chuckling that I have the gumption to share something like this.
Yet balance is important. I perceive all of the learning opportunities inherent in playing with play dough, painting, making a big mess cooking in the kitchen, and building huge block structures that end up looking like they've endured a natural disaster.
It's about balance, though, just like with anything else.
So my kids have what I call jurisdictions, or areas in the house that they're responsible for cleaning up every day at certain times. I got the term from the Duggars, by the way.
So for anyone who is looking for encouragement in this area, this is how we do it.
When we began, I put their chore lists in paper protectors and taped them to the wall; they checked off each thing accomplished with a dry erase marker. That helped them to learn what was expected of them.
Morning chores/jurisdictions involve things as simple as dressing and brushing teeth to cleaning their bedrooms and practicing piano.
Afternoon jurisdictions for one child include feeding the chickens, collecting the eggs, cleaning either the living room or the toy room (they alternate this), and either washing dishes or folding a load of clothes (alternately as well.) The other oldest kid takes out the compost, dumps the recycling, along with cleaning one of the rooms mentioned above and doing either a load of laundry or washing dishes.
You can only imagine the feeling of relief verging on euphoria that I experience after seeing our house change from a disaster area to a place of order, balance, and tidiness after just 30-45 minutes of us all working on it together.
And THAT is why I wanted to share this. If any of you are in that frustrated place, then I encourage you to take control, formulate a plan, and just do it. The task may seem daunting right now, but I assure you, if you work with them consistently, they will get it. Your reward will come and so will theirs.
Due to being around his brothers and sisters, two year old Camden is good at cleaning up as well. There have been times lately when I thought he was dumping something out, went to check, and he was actually cleaning it all up.
That kind of thing really does make it all worthwhile. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment