I just got up from a sweet rest time with my 2 year old. It was nice until thoughts started assaulting me, for which reason I have been forced to release in some format or another...
I don't know why President Obama didn't go to the Gettysburg event in Illinois today to commemorate President Lincoln's speech, although it is somewhat surprising. Yet I guess when you look at the grand scheme of things that really, it's not so much.
I wonder how many school kids heard or read the Gettysburg address today. A poll of that would be interesting. Mine haven't, not yet anyway, but it is on the agenda.
I want to say that the problem with our nation's schools began long before Common Core. History is one subject that has not been taught well in schools, or at least in my lifetime.
As a "good student," graduating at least in the top thirty (number, not percent) of my senior class, my understanding of History as an almost 18 year old, had I been assessed, would have been an embarrassment.
I did not begin to care at all about History until Mrs. Elliot's 11th grade U.S. History class. Mrs. Elliot was an old lady with a bag on her side but she could do some historic reenactments like nobody's business. She was definitely passionate about the subject matter.
When I consider ALL that I learned throughout my 13 years of school in regard to History, the result is depressing. I don't think I could type one page on it.
Most people walking around today, if interviewed, would not be able to tell you who gave the Gettysburg Address or have any clue what it is. How sad it is that something so pivotal has been lost in the shuffle.
That, along with the fact that there are people suing for the right to say "The Pledge of Allegience" in our schools makes me sad.
It makes me want to ask "why," which leads me to the quote that went through my mind and initiated this post.
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
Is that what they want? A group of people who are too ignorant to understand the corruption and evil that is overtaking our government, and thereby shackled to simple thoughts, hence incapable of calling out the powers that be for their wrongdoing and initiating positive change?
Well it seems that their plan is working quite well.
My recommendation, if History is not being taught at your child's school in a way that makes an impression and an accurate one, then teach it yourself. As a witness from 18 years of public education, you can't do any worse.
I don't know why President Obama didn't go to the Gettysburg event in Illinois today to commemorate President Lincoln's speech, although it is somewhat surprising. Yet I guess when you look at the grand scheme of things that really, it's not so much.
I wonder how many school kids heard or read the Gettysburg address today. A poll of that would be interesting. Mine haven't, not yet anyway, but it is on the agenda.
I want to say that the problem with our nation's schools began long before Common Core. History is one subject that has not been taught well in schools, or at least in my lifetime.
As a "good student," graduating at least in the top thirty (number, not percent) of my senior class, my understanding of History as an almost 18 year old, had I been assessed, would have been an embarrassment.
I did not begin to care at all about History until Mrs. Elliot's 11th grade U.S. History class. Mrs. Elliot was an old lady with a bag on her side but she could do some historic reenactments like nobody's business. She was definitely passionate about the subject matter.
When I consider ALL that I learned throughout my 13 years of school in regard to History, the result is depressing. I don't think I could type one page on it.
Most people walking around today, if interviewed, would not be able to tell you who gave the Gettysburg Address or have any clue what it is. How sad it is that something so pivotal has been lost in the shuffle.
That, along with the fact that there are people suing for the right to say "The Pledge of Allegience" in our schools makes me sad.
It makes me want to ask "why," which leads me to the quote that went through my mind and initiated this post.
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
Is that what they want? A group of people who are too ignorant to understand the corruption and evil that is overtaking our government, and thereby shackled to simple thoughts, hence incapable of calling out the powers that be for their wrongdoing and initiating positive change?
Well it seems that their plan is working quite well.
My recommendation, if History is not being taught at your child's school in a way that makes an impression and an accurate one, then teach it yourself. As a witness from 18 years of public education, you can't do any worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment