Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

When the Answer is No

This morning, I woke up really early, and was able to do my Bible reading in complete quietness. One thing I especially savored was reaching for and grabbing onto my Bible in the darkness of my bedroom. As I picked up the treasured book that my Grandma gave me, I felt like I had just caught hold of a good friend, though much more so.

I've read through the words of Jesus taking Passover with his disciples a few good times but I had never really slowed down enough to savor it. In the quietness, this morning I did. I put myself, as best I could, in their places, trying to experience the sensations that they felt and to understand what thoughts they must have been thinking.

Then I read on to Luke 22:42, where Jesus says, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

I would guess we all know how God responded, not audibly so, but since the crucifixion shortly followed, it seems that His answer to Jesus' heartfelt plea was "no."

According to the Bible, this was not a stoic moment for Jesus. Following the words in v42, "...being in agony (of mind), He prayed (all the) more earnestly and intently, and His sweat became like great clots of blood dropping down upon the ground." (Luke 22:44AMP)

We can only begin to grapple with the intensity of what he was feeling.

Yet he was still crucified. From that, I can only infer that to Jesus' fervent request, God said "no."

None of us like to be told "no" do we?

Over the course of the past year or so, I've read a quote something along the lines of this..."God's answers to your prayers are either yes, not now, or I have something better for you." I've even told my kids this a few times.

Yet after my reading this morning, I no longer think that it's true.

We must take care to not try to fit Jesus into a worldly mold. We are His workmanship. He is not ours.

When I'm tempted to sin, God definitely says "no." When I've prayed for the healing of loved ones with cancer, God has said "no."

I realize that the two scenarios are infinitely different, but each time, God said "no."

Do I believe that He has good reasons for saying "no." Most certainly!

I don't say "no" to my children unless it is necessary and in their best interests, and I believe that He uses the same love and wisdom in His dealings with us.

And do I believe that for the faithful follower of Jesus, every "no" is followed by a greater yes? Most definitely!

 I believe with all my heart that for every loss we endure, the gain will far surpass it. The key to enduring is keeping an eternal perspective.

This can only be done by reading the Bible and praying, every day.

Then we will learn to be thankful in all things as His word commands us, even in those moment when He answers us with a "no."










No comments:

Post a Comment