Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Authentic Christian Life

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5

This could be my daily theme verse. It tells you how to walk the Christian walk on a daily basis authentically. And truly, is there really any other way? We either DO or we DON'T! We either ARE or we AREN'T!
Going to church every Sunday isn't going to cut it. If we lived in a sin-free world it would, but that is FAR from the case! The TRUTH is that if you are saved by God's grace, YOUR LIFE WILL LOOK DIFFERENT! If it doesn't, then there is a serious problem. It doesn't change all at once; if it did then God would have no reason for leaving us in this sin-infested place. We are here to do battle.
Typically you know that I'm not overly pessimistic, but unless you are pretty sheltered, then almost everything that you come into contact with on a daily basis is in opposition to God's Word. It is vital to your spiritual health that you erect certain safeguards to protect yourself from the lies that permeate the entertainment industry. Does this require radical living? Most definitely! Is it easy? NO!

From my own personal experience...God lovingly nudged me away from soaps for many months (maybe years to an extent) before I actually gave them completely up. It was HARD! My Mama had them on when I was little and I had watched them ever since. What's the problem with that you may ask? The biggest problem with it for me is that they present anything extra-marital as desirable, enticing, and the norm. If you think that you can watch things like this on a regular basis and not have it affect you mentally, then you are fooling yourself.

Many people are careful what they allow into the minds of their children but watch exactly what they want to watch when their children aren't around. It is impossible to exaggerate the impact that the things that you allow into your mind on a daily basis have on your actions. Like Joyce Meyer says, "Where the mind goes, the man follows."

The only way to recognize the lies that you you will most certainly contend with on a daily basis is to LEARN TRUTH. Doing this requires time in God's Word. It requires commitment. Sometimes it's enjoyable; sometimes it's not. But it will change you for the better. It will change your life for the better...and the lives of those around you.

Following is a quote I read yesterday from Proverbs 31 Ministries. "Jesus gave all so that we wouldn’t have to live our lives based on how we feel in the moment. We can live our lives based on truth. And the more I understand that and determine to let truth reign my heart in, the more peaceful I am." Lysa TerKeurst

You may have been doing exactly what you want to do your whole life, but please hear this. GOD'S PLANS ARE BETTER! I've tried it both ways and I know. Do I still have to remind myself of that? YES! Is it worth the cost? Most definitely!

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those tho love Him..." (2 Cor. 2:9) Eschew what is less now for a greater, authentic return later. You won't be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, I am so glad you decided to create your Blog page! I am sure it will be an inspiration to many. I was the same way over the soap operas and I was hooked on them as well until God began to shine light upon the message it was sending in my home. The motto He spoke to me was "If you wouldn't want your children to watch it, why are you watching it?" I immediately stopped watching them after that.

    God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete