Yet my experience is becoming so that I believe more all the time that those instances are few and far between, if not non-existent.
A lot of people are "up in arms" about healthcare, and their concerns are reasonable. I have concerns of my own about it.
Yet, I perceive that the greater threat to our nation and its people is being ignored by most. In actuality, it has gone too far to be perceived as a threat; it has become a reality. I am referring to the Common Core Curriculum.
Teachers don't like it and many even despise it, though they are afraid that if they say so they're going to lose their jobs. They have lost control over their classrooms. Lesson plans for the year have been distributed and they are expected to follow them. Regardless of individual needs and the makeup of their classes, they are expected to adhere to those lesson plans. They are no longer allowed to think. They are expected to act as trained, mechanical devices with no intellect of their own.
Teachers, you did NOT go to school for this.
As for students, they are on the receiving end. They are required, even from Kindergarten, to master material for which they have been given no concrete framework of understanding. The knowledge being imparted is not knowledge at all. Lesson plans being implemented seem to complicate the learning process rather than simplifying it. As teachers are being required to teach their lessons exactly as they are written, students are having to endure a one size fits all approach to learning. This "my way or the highway" mentality has never brought about anything good and it never will.
Why do I care? I homeschool so why on earth is this bothering me so much? It would be much easier if it didn't.
My best answer is that I am a natural born educator. I love children and want what's best for them.
Aside from this, the success of our nation depends on the education of our children. Ultimately we will all be affected by these changes.
My plea to you parents and teachers is to stand up for what is right. It is too easy in this era of big government to believe that what you do doesn't matter. That is a lie. Every good change that has ever come about started with an individual. Stop talking quietly to those who have no influence and start speaking up to those who do. Write letters to the president, governor, and our representatives in Congress. Write letters to our Board of Education members or go and talk to them personally. Express your concerns to your principal.
For the sake of your children, share their experiences and yours. Make your voices heard. Stand up for your children. If you don't, who will?
Apparently, I will but we can get a lot more done together than apart. Let's do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment